Avro Lincoln B. Mk.2 RF511 of No.230 Operational Conversion Unit, crashed on Carnedd Llewelyn near Bethesda on the 15th March 1950
|Crew / Passengers||Rank - If Applicable||Position e.g. Pilot||Status|
|John Talbot Lovell Shore MC AFC||Squadron Leader||Pilot||Killed|
|Cyril Alfred Lindsey||Flight Lieutenant||Navigator||Killed|
|Ronald Albert Forsdyke DFC||Engineer II||Flight Engineer||Killed|
|Harold Henry Charman||Signaller III||Radio Operator||Killed|
|Godfrey Leo Cundy||Gunner II||Air Gunner||Killed|
|Robert Henry Hutchings Wood||Gunner I||Air Gunner||Killed|
During the night of the 14th / 15th March 1950 a number of Lincolns took off on cross country exercise from RAF Hemswell and RAF Scampton, one of these aircraft was RF511 from No.230 Operational Conversion Unit, stationed at RAF Scampton. In the early hours of the 15th three of the aircraft were diverted by the Preston Area controller to land at RAF Valley on Anglesey as the weather had deteriorated at Scampton, two landed safely just before 03:00.
At 02:55 RAF Valley received a call from Bethesda Police Station stating that an aircraft had crashed nearby, 30 minutes later the RAF Mountain Rescue Team from Valley left for Bethesda. They travelled up to the waterworks in the lower reaches of Cwm Llafar where the team left their vehicles before continuing on foot. The first members of the rescue team reached to site at 05:20, they quickly confirmed that the crashed aircraft was RF511 and discovered four bodies as the fires reduced in size they located the remaining two airmen in the wreckage. All six bodies were recovered to Bethesda with help from staff at RAF Llanberis (a munitions storage depot) by 19:00.
The subsequent Court of Inquiry determined that the likely cause was the crew had turned onto a South-easterly course over Anglesey instead of the reciprocal out to sea.
Gunner II Godfrey Cundy, Air Gunner
He was born in the Hulme area of Manchester in 1923 and joined the RAF in the late 1940s, having been in a reserved occupation as a farm labourer near Matlock during the war years, while two of his brothers were serving in the armed forces. One receiving a commission while with the Cheshire Regiment, later transferring to the RAF, before returning to the Army in 1945.
While in the RAF Godfrey had served in Cyprus and Palestine in ground trades before returning to the UK, after his death he was buried in a family grave at Huyton Parish Church, Liverpool.
Image Copyright & information: Mick Cundy
The aircraft flew into a scree slope just below the top of the Bwlch Cyfryw-drum ridge which links Carnedd Llewelyn and Carnedd Dafydd.
In between the rocks are hundreds of small pieces of the aircraft, towards the lower end of the scree slope are sections of both main undercarriage oleos.
Immediately below the scree slope where the aircraft impacts are further pieces of undercarriage structure and engine bearers.
These are some of the smaller pieces scattered about the scree.
A little to the east of where the aircraft impacted is this plaque, laid at the site by Sqn Ldr Shore's son.
Scattered down the mountain are many other pieces, this is one of the four propeller hubs, coupled to part of the engine reduction gear,
the impact point of the aircraft is in the scree towards the cloud base.
This is the same propeller hub, but looking down hill.
Near by in a boggy area is a second, more complete, propeller hub.
The largest items which are still at the site are two sections of the rear spars from the aircraft's wings, both lie adjacent to the stream which runs down from the crash site.
This is the second section of spar, with a small section of the wing skinning still attached.
This is the flap actuating cylinder with a short section of the push rods attached, it is lying close to the lower section of spar.
One of the items in the stream below the impact point is one of the superchargers from the aircrafts Rolls Royce Merlin engines.
Also lying close to the stream are the remains of the H2S radar scanner mounting ring.
This part is one of the engine cowling panels from RF511, but unlike most of the wreckage it is some distance from the crash site, lying beside the stream below the near by crash site of Wellington Mk.IC DV800. A second cowling panel is in this same stream a little higher up towards the crash site of DV800.
These items are also close to the stream below DV800, but are again from RF511.
An unusual feature near the crash site of RF511 is this stone shelter which has had some of the armour plating from the aircraft used to build the roof, inside the shelter are the remains of two previous plaques which had been at the crash site.
Two of the crew were buried at Holyhead Cemetery, they were Engineer II Forsdyke and Signaller III Charman.
It is interesting to note that Engineer II Forsdyke was a holder of the Distinguished Flying Cross, an award given to officers. During World War Two he had served in the RAF becoming a Flying Officer before leaving the service only to subsequently re-enlist. He had received his DFC during May 1945 while with No.405 Squadron, RCAF, a Pathfinder unit operating Avro Lancasters. His citation recorded that he had completed 50 operational sorties from mid 1944 as a Flight Engineer.